Friday 11 September 2009

Fabulous Friday... The Interview ~ Carolyn's Creations

This week's Misi Crafter is Carolyn from Carolyn's Creations... or Sewembroidernut as she's known on the forums :-)
Carolyn is amazing with custom orders ~ she creates exactly what you have asked for and it turns out 100 times better than you could imagine yourself.



How did you get started in your particular craft and how long have you been doing it?

I started sewing at school when I was 11 years old and have been sewing ever since. I made all my children's clothing until they were teenagers and they decided that home sewing was no longer "cool". I might add that they are now asking me to sew for their children because everything is so expensive!! Precisely the reason why I did it in the first place! I knit, crochet and dabble in all things "crafty"! I own 7 sewing machines which is a bit over the top I have to admit, BUT I use them all!! I started with machine embroidery in 2003 when we were commuting between Holland and London, spending more time in UK than Holland. I could not manage without a sewing machine in London and had always wanted an embroidery machine so bought one that could be used for either normal sewing as well as machine embroidery. Machine embroidery is addictive, fun and very rewarding. Every project I undertake is so different and I love the challenges MISI members throw my way.

Are there any negative aspects to doing your craft and if there are how do you work around them?
The only negative thing about my craft is not being able to get to places to get supplies so I rely heavily upon the internet. I always research places we visit to make sure I get to see the fabric and craft shops in the area. My OH is very supportive and encourages me in my hobbies. I am not happy unless I am creating something, and that does lead to a surplus stock and the problem then is, how to move it on. No matter how big my stash is I NEVER have the right piece of fabric when I want it!! AND there are never enough hours in a day!


What tips would you give to anyone thinking of starting your craft?

Start with small projects and then slowly get into bigger things. I started my granddaughters off with sacking, doing cross stitch and then I made them into oven cloths for them. Machine embroidery is an expensive hobby as there are so many hidden extras that are required,so if you are contemplating buying an embroidery machine I would suggest you do what I did and get a combination machine and then you have not wasted your money if the embroidery side does not work out. The internet is an amazing place for resources and it pays to check out all the tips and free designs available. If at first you don't succeed - Don't give up - try again and again. You will win in the end.

How did you find MISI?

I saw a link on "The Sewing Forum" and decided that MISI looked very encouraging. I joined right at the beginning and it has been good for me.

What is your favourite item in your own MISI shop?

These little trinket bowls are lovely on dressing tables. I have one in my spare room which I fill with chocolates for guests. Whatever colour they are done in, they all look so different.

What is your favourite shop on MISI (besides your own)?

That is a really hard question but I have to say I love Jane's jewellery and the choker at suzidoo has also taken my eye . There are so many talented people using MISI, that it is difficult to choose, just ONE! Overspill for supplies too! There are a lot of shops I have not even had a chance to look at so there could well be others I have missed.



Random Facts about you:

What is your favourite colour? Bright Pink

What is your favourite food? Apples - fresh - straight from the tree!

What is your favourite season? Summer

What is your favourite time of day? Uninterrupted crafting time!!

What is your favourite website (besides MISI)? www.thesewingforum.co.uk , www.virginiaquilter.com

What is your favourite TV programme? Holby City & Casualty - sorry cannot choose between the two!




Thank you so much for chatting to us Carolyn. Take a look at Carolyn's Creations to see more of her talented designs...
Categories: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment