Friday 22 January 2010

Fabulous Friday... The Interview ~ Jewels of Isis

This week's Misi crafter is Marianne... Jewels of Isis...



How did you get started in your particular craft and how long have you been doing it?

When I was giving up the 9 to 5 eighteen months ago, I was persuaded by friends who are antiquities dealers to buy ancient Egyptian and Roman beads from them to make into jewellery. This meant learning HOW to make jewellery and how to run a web shop, neither of which I had considered before. I loved it so much that I branched into semi precious work, hoping for a bigger market!

Are there any negative aspects to doing your craft and if there are how do you work around them?

If I had done a bit of research first, I would have realised that Jewellery making is very popular at the moment - everyone and their cat does it - and maybe it would have been better to try something just as creative but with less competition! Its too late now though, I love it too much to give it up, so all I can do is try to be as creative and as individual as I can be.

What tips would you give to anyone thinking of starting your craft?
Take up pottery instead! Only joking - try to find a niche that you enjoy, and concentrate your efforts and money on producing something truly unique.

How did you find Misi?
Emma contacted me on Facebook, so I signed up after a brief and unsuccesful trial on another selling site.

What is your favourite item in your own Misi shop?
This one - Rhiannon

What is your favourite shop on Misi (besides your own)?
There are too many to list - there are several other jewellers I admire, some very clever ladies who make beautiful things by knitting, sewing and crocheting, and some very talented artists.



Random Facts about you:

What is your favourite month and why?
May, because it is generally warm and dry, and my garden looks its best then.

What is your ideal vacation?
Anywhere where there is no noise, no street lights, very few people and I can take my dogs! self Catering in a remote cottage in Argyll last May was perfect.

What is your favourite chocolate?
I'm not a big fan of chocolate, crisps are my downfall, but I do get a huge box of Thorntons Continental every Christmas (and usually make them last till Easter!)

What is your favourite animal?
Well its got to be horses or dogs, depending on which of mine is being most naughty at the time.

What actor/actress would you NOT kick out of bed?
Not so much the actor, but the character he played - Legolas from Lord of the Rings. I did like Aragorn, but he needed to wash his hair!



Thank you Marianne. Visit Jewels of Isis to see the creations of a talented jewellery maker.

Helen
xxx

3 comments:

  1. Back away from the chocs!!!

    Another great blog ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easter! Lovely interview Marianne and Helen.
    )I can not believe that: Easter. Yes I can, she is lovely and slim girls.)

    ReplyDelete