Friday 5 February 2010

Fabulous Friday... The Interview ~ Live Wire Jewellery

Today's Fab Friday crafter is Steff from Live Wire Jewellery. Steff creates some really unique shapes with her jewellery ~ worth a look.



How did you get started in your particular craft and how long have you been doing it?
It all started when I went in to my local art and craft shop, i'd been in lots of times before but never really bothered with the jewellery section. Then on one visit I noticed some gorgeous orange lampwork beads that I thought would look perfect with an outfit I was wearing to a wedding so bought a couple without thinking about what I was going to do with them. When I got home I managed to make them into earrings by destroying another pair and using the components, needless to say with a pair of my dad's old pliers they weren't very neat but they did the job and it got me hooked! That was about 3 years ago and from those two lampwork beads I now have a whole room of beads, tools, gemstones and books!

Are there any negative aspects to doing your craft and if there are, how do you work around them?
I enjoy making chainmaille pieces but it can make my eyes feel really tired looking at all those jumprings and working out where they all go! so I take regular breaks to give them a rest, it also gives my hands and wrists a break and gives me chance to raid the fridge for a snack!

What tips would you give to anyone thinking of starting your craft?
Take a class or buy a book/magazine etc. When I started out I didn't know the best way to make jewellery, so pieces broke and clasps fell off. It saves a lot of time by learning a few key techniques!

What is your favourite item in your own Misi shop?
My Mint Box Chain Bracelet, it started off as a (very) long length of wire which I've coiled to make little jump rings, cut each one by hand and then woven them into a box chain. Finished off with a roughly polished nugget of fluorite, one of my favourite semi-precious stones.

What is your favourite shop on Misi (besides your own)?
I recently stumbled across Imps and Things which has some amazing handmade tree sprites and imps, that just have such fantastic expressions!





Random things about you:

What is your favourite time of day?
Those very rare times when I wake up before my alarm!

What is your ideal vacation?
I like to go to far flung places (when I can afford it!) being able to visit a Masai village in Tanzania was amazing, and I got to see the beautiful colourful jewellery they wear.

Where were you born?
I was born in Godalming, a small town in Surrey (less than an hour away from London, England). Godalming has a wonderful little craft shop which started me off into the crafting world!

What is your favourite animal?
Well it's got to be dogs or more specifically my dog Ichi, she's only 2 and is the most affectionate dog ever!

What actor/actress would you NOT kick out of bed?
Christian Bale without a doubt!




Thank you Steff. Take a look at Live Wire Jewellery ~ inspiring creations.

Helen
xxx

1 comment:

  1. another interesting interview. One of our best friends lives near Godalming - small world!

    ReplyDelete