Friday 30 October 2009

Fabulous Friday... The Interview ~ Crochet Cynth

Today's Misi Crafter is Cynthia from Crochet Cynth.




How did you get started in your particular craft and how long have you been doing it?

I started messing about with a crochet hook and some yarn 3 years ago when a couple of friends announced that they were going to have a baby boy. I thought it'd be nice if I could make something for the baby. Hence, I did the most basic double crochet baby blanket ever. I did it, but I thought to myself I didn't have the talent for it, so I packed it up and focused on my knitting.

A few months ago, I noticed that my downstairs neighbour Penny has been crocheting all day long. I found it fascinating, and thought to myself 'Perhaps Penny can teach me how to crochet' So with her help, I blew off the dust on my crochet hook and gave it another go. This time, I got completely hooked on to it. It also helps when almost everyone around me is either having or expecting babies. I've got myself enough target audience to test my techniques and try out a few patterns here and there. Before I know, I got custom orders lined up to the point that my hook's smoking!


Are there any negative aspects to doing your craft and if there are how do you work around them?
Negative aspects
There are actually a few. It's sooo addictive that once I've started, I'd forget all about eating, drinking or any other basic needs. I'd sit there for long hours to the point when my lower back is killing me. Then there's the darning the yarn. I trust that most fellow knitters and crocheters would agree that it is one of the most essential yet tedious and boring task to do to complete the project. When I use a very fine hook, I get cramps in my hand.

How do I get round them
My loving other half would make sure that I've got cups of tea regularly. I do try to stand and stretch every now and then. We have invested in an inversion table, so that would help stretch my back after long hours of sitting and crocheting. Darning the yarn, unless some of you are willing to let me outsource it, I'm stuck with it. However, I do find it more enjoyable when I do it along the way instead of leaving it all to do at the very end of my crochet project. Sometimes I vary the projects I do, so that I don't always get cramps by using finer hooks.


What tips would you give to anyone thinking of starting your craft?
I personally recommend watching some YouTube videos to start with. The following linke gives you a good collection of videos: the recordings, her instructions and explanations are clear, and most of her demonstration comes in slow motion as well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjw1963#play/user/E13D21C2E1F58CD7/14/11Wh7IOT9BI

Good starting point for beginners: 4mm - 4.5mmm crochet hook and double-knit yarn
Best to start with something none-fluffy, because even the more experienced crocheter would find it annoying or difficult to crochet fluffy yarns.
Choose a project you love, so you can enjoy it more while you learn how to crochet.


How did you find Misi?
Crafting friends have always recommended I set up a shop on Etsy. I have my concerns as American competitors can get a wider variety of yarns at a lower cost. Hence, I was looking for a UK-based Etsy-equivalent, and I found Misi on a directory of online craft shops.


What is your favourite item in your own Misi shop?
Marshmallow Deluxe line of baby blankets. I love making them as the yarn is deliciously soft and I can vary the colours to make each one of them unique.


What is your favourite shop on Misi (besides your own)?
I have most certainly hearted quite a number of shops, but the one that I keep looking at frequently, is PebbleRox. The sparkle, the bright colours and the beautiful designs caught my attention from day one.



Random Facts about you:

What is your favourite way to travel?
Any form of transport that would just allow me to sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery along the way.


What is your favourite chocolate?
Definitely dark chocolate, especially truffles and those with nuts.


What is your favourite drink?
A nice cup of Chinese tea. I can't choose between the following: Pu'er, Tie Guan Yin, Oolong and Bi Luo Chun


What is your favourite place that you have lived?
Among the places that I've lived, I like Bristol the best. It is a city that has so much to offer that I can always find something new to do and somewhere new to visit. I love its great balance of the buzz of city life and serene greenary. Ballets, plays and concerts at Hippodrome, Colston Hall and the Academy; jazz gigs at Old Duke and Folk House; restaurants at Welsh Back, Whiteladies Road and all lovely ones dotted around the city that serve a wide variety of cuisine; quiet stroll by the river or up Leigh Woods; shopping at Cabot Circus ... the list just goes on.


What is your all-time favourite movie?
I am a movie buff, so it's hard to choose from all the wonderful movies that I've seen. Top of my list would be:
- Shawshank Redemption
- Pursuit of Happyness
- Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
- Miracle at St. Anna


What actor/actress would you NOT kick out of bed?
Now this is an easy question to answer! Jason Statham for sure. Ok ... maybe Denzil Washington too? :D um... Adrian Lester isn't bad either ....



Thank you for that fabulously informative interview Cyn, I think I want to take up crotcheting after reading that. Visit Crochet Cynth and have a look at Cynthia's beautiful creations ~ she does custom orders too.


Helen
xxx

4 comments:

  1. I'm amazed that you've only been doing this for a few months. You really do have a talent for it, I thought you'd been doing it for years! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a really interesting interview - nice one ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the interview, Helen. :)
    Thanks for the encouraging words, ladies. In case anyone would like to place a custom order for Christmas, don't hesitate to send me a message, yea? ;)
    Happy Halloween everyone! xxx

    ReplyDelete