Selling handmade items online isn’t easy, but if you master the ups and downs of online retail, you can be successful. To start you on your motivated marketing strategy, we’ve delineated a few tips and tricks to give you an initial boost.
1. Make offersThe more offers you make, the more you’ll sell. Really. Changing your offer every week or month encourages people to come back to your website to check out your latest deals. They’re more likely to sign up for updates, which opens the door for you to start building a relationship with them.
- Try an ‘Offer of the month’ with 25% off, and then vary the promotional product each month. Publicise your offers on:
- your site’s homepage
- your Facebook page
- receipts and invoices
- emails to previous customers
- Try it once and see what happens. You’ll be surprised (and delighted).
2. Get your name out thereWrite press releases about:
- your latest products
- an event you’re organising (see below)
- a delighted customer
- company anniversaries or milestones (eg. 1,000th customer)
- a hot news story and tie it in to your product
- lists (7 ways to settle your new baby into a routine, 10 things to ask a designer before ordering wedding stationery, 5 top tips to a flat tummy, etc.)
What other free things can you do that help you get more customers? Which of the ideas here work best for your business? Share in the comments below.