If you’re looking for an easy last-minute gift your kids can make, this is a great one. Big kids and little kids will love picking out photos and decorating their own.
Here's how to make a DIY Photo Snow Globe:
- A clean jar with a lid
- Scrapbooking paper
- Spray paint
- Craft paint
- Hot glue
- White pompoms
- Any additional embellishments you might want to add
1. After you've thoroughly cleaned your jars soak them in warm water to remove the labels. Any residual adhesive can be removed with a product like 'goo-be-gone'.
2. To paint the lids first give them a coat of spray paint, this will act as a primer & help the craft paint to stick to the metal surface. Once dry you can paint 1-2 coats of craft paint (I used a metallic finish acrylic paint) to the lid. Set aside to dry.
3. Next, cut out a piece of scrapbook paper (I love the look of glittery ones through the glass) to fit the height of the inside of your jar & a little less than the width of your jar. It will serve as your background so it doesn't need to be too large.
4. Take your photographs & cut out the images you'd like to use in your jars. Fold up the bottom 1/2 inch of your photo, this will be the base on which your photo stands. Glue a small popsicle stick to the bottom back of your photo to help stabilize it, then apply more glue to the bottom of the photo & stick it into place. You can use something like scissors or a capped pen to help press the photo to the bottom of the jar.
5. Help your photo stand by placing "snow" (white pompoms) behind it & around it. For the snow in the front of the jar I cut each pompom in half & pulled it apart a bit. If snow on the ground doesn't seem fitting for the memory in your jar another idea is to paint a little white glue around the photo, along the base of the jar, & then sprinkle glitter. This is what I did for the base of the photo that had my husband & daughter sleeping on the couch.
6. Replace the lid & embellish with any ribbons, glitter or bows you'd like. Place on the mantel & enjoy your mini-scrapbook every time you walk by!